Sunday, August 26, 2007

iPhone Activation "Searching... Searching... No service"

At home with a second SIM card neatly tucked away in my iPhone I launch the now familiar iTunes application and try yet again to activate my iPhone.

At this point I have to say I was not even hopeful. I have a lot of experience troubleshooting and a different SIM card seemed one of the least likely possiblities. (Although there is no way to know at the time I write this if I am correct, my guess is an issue with the AT&T network itself)

I followed the by now well worn iTunes path leading to iPhone activation. (Was that another credit check? Geez) Within a few minutes I was back at the crucial point. "Searching... Searching... No service" Ah, well.

I called 800 697-4663 (800 My iPhone) and within less than a minute I was speaking to a friendly Apple representative. As he "retrieved my record" I filled the time by filling him in on the series of unfortunate events that had preceded this call. By the time I finished he sounded shaken. He spoke to me as if to someone who could have him called on the carpet or worse. On the other hand maybe by this point I just sounded like someone capable of going postal and tracking people down.

He explained that since a different SIM card didn't work we would proceed to the next step, returning the iPhone to Apple for repairs. Although by now I was used to disappointment I began to feel a glimmer of hope again. It didn't sound too bad. This was to be a free repair, I would receive a temporary replacement phone on Monday. Since I had the phone less 24 hours he also volunteered to waive the usual $29 fee for the loaner phone.

I have to use my (second) SIM card in the temporary phone. Hey, it could work. I'll find out Monday.

No comments:

Blog Archive